Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Excellence

I got a very nice surprise in work last week.  My boss had nominated me and I was selected for our company's 'award for excellence'.  The award is given quarterly and is designed to recognize contributions and achievements over time.  It came with a physical award that I can keep on my desk, and a few other nice things, like a very nice write up on our company's intranet.  I feel very flattered that I received it, and was probably blushing and shaking with the president presented it to me.  This experience also showed me very clearly how bad I am at taking compliments.  ("SEE??" says Joe)

I think what I am in most disbelief about is the timing of it.  I received this in a year that has been my most challenging yet, life wise.  When balance has become my new goal and I practically race out of the building at the end of the day for a chance to see AJ before bedtime.  I'm not trying to succeed any less, but I certainly have a different sense of priorities, understandably.  I've been very lucky that, while returning to work has meant sacrifices (in time), it hasn't been unmanageable so far.  Busy weeks are tempered by less busy weeks, most of the time.  Working late several days in a row usually means then working from home several days in a row if I can.

I hope that the balance I have found over the past 6 months is something I will be able to continue, since every day AJ is becoming more and more of a little person.  This morning Joe merely put his jacket on and AJ started to wave bye-bye!  And he has started to be able to identify objects "AJ go get the cup" and he gets it!  He also says "cah" repeatedly .  We have no idea what it means.  First we thought it was 'cat' since he says it when he looks at his books.  Then we thought it was 'cup' since he can get his cup.  But frankly he says 'cah' at just about every object in the house, so we're just going with it :-)  More than anything I hope that someday, with all of the juggling and balancing that is a necessary evil, AJ would also give me an award for mommy excellence.   I can't imagine feeling more successful than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment