I just don't know where I will come up with ideas to blog about after I stop pumping. It's seriously an endless source of mental energy. Today marks a full week that I have been dumping some, if not all, of my milk every day. I have never been so thankful for my freezer stash. Last Sunday night I started to feel sick. Like really sick. I thought I had escaped the super-germ that Joe got after Christmas but sure as Murphy's Law would have it, I got it the day before I was to leave for Vegas for 4 days. Sunday night my throat and head hurt so much, that I got up at 2 am and actually took cough medicine. This is saying a lot since (outside of C section meds) I have not taken even a single Tylenol since getting pregnant. But I didn't think I would make it, so I took it knowing that I would have to dump the last milk I'd have the opportunity to pump before leaving on Monday morning.
Now, I have no idea if I am overly cautious when it comes to getting rid of milk that may or may not be tainted with OTC cold remedies. But the guilt that ensued back when I was in my first trimester prevailed and (rather than calling the doctor) I just err on the side of caution.
Then I was in Vegas for 4 days. I never liked Vegas. I liked it even less when I had to think about accommodating time to pump within a ridiculous trade show and client meeting and client dinner schedule, with a time change on top of it. Needless to say it wasn't easy, but I did ok. I was obviously just pumping for supply upkeep and even if I wasn't downing Dayquil and Nyquil like it was my job, I wouldn't have made any attempt to get this milk home. Well, between a few missed pumping sessions and-- I think moreso-- probable borderline dehydration from walking one million square feet of convention center space and 4 days of decongestants, my supply has finally dipped. I think today will be the last day I take anything, so I can start giving AJ some fresh milk again, but right now I am not pumping enough to cover his daily intake so we'll still be mixing with frozen.
I'd like to go on a frozen milk tangent for a moment. AJ doesn't seem to notice a difference.... but frozen milk, to me, smells like freezer burn. It just gets a little funny. It not bad, or sour, but its not the same. If I had a dollar for every time I Googled something about frozen breastmilk, I could quit my job.
Anyway, I know what I can do to increase supply, but now I'm thinking, AJ is 11 months old today. Within 4-6 weeks we will start transitioning him to regular milk (cue panic about cows milk hormones)...so I could probably be ok between what I'm pumping and what I have frozen. Its more of a mental hurdle than anything else. So we'll see. I thank Dayquil, and I especially thank Mucinex, without which I would not have regained the ability to speak. But at the same time I am really looking forward to being medication free.
No comments:
Post a Comment