Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It gets worse before it gets better?

Week one went pretty well.  Week 2 is off to a weak start.  Maybe its because the weather is super dreary today and its supposed to stay this way all week...but I'm having a much harder time today.

AJ (I'm giving up on not naming names) turned 3 months yesterday and so we are attempting to embark on getting him on a schedule.  This means getting him into a nighttime routine and to bed early.  This also means I only get about an hour and half with him, and thats if I leave work a bit early and get a jump on the traffic. Thats an hour and a half out of 24...maybe another hour if I feed him during one of the night feedings.  It seems so unfair that now, when he has become so smiley, and moving ever closer to being interactive, that I have to miss out on 90% of his day.  How does this work?  I just don't know how so many moms do it.  How is he supposed to learn who mommy is and create that bond when we're basically only together on the weekends?  I'm sad that 12 weeks is the generally acceptable 'bonding' time in this country.

Hilariously, I should also mention that right now AJ basically just sees me as one big nipple.  Any time we are together, he tries to suck on whatever part of me happens to be near his mouth.  My arm, my chin, my shoulder, doesn't matter.  It cracks me up actually.  But also makes me sad to see the eye contact he makes with Joe for minutes on end...while many times he won't make eye contact with me.  I think he's too young to mean anything personal by it.  At least I do get his undivided attention when I change his diaper at 4am.  I'm actually convinced that he sees my tired face and tries to cheer me up with him smiles and almost-giggles at that late/early hour.  It works. :)

Every day I look at him in awe and just wonder how we can be so lucky.  What have I done to deserve the limitless happiness that he brings?  No wonder I want to be near him all the time!  Here's to hoping next week is a bit better.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pulling for you! You can trying skyping. I did that with Jerry. The only downside is that you end up making weird sounds and faces at work, but maybe you do that already!

    --Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, you must be so torn! I feel for you!
    --Carrie

    ReplyDelete